This past weekend, I attended the Anti-Cruelty Society’s Volunteer appreciation party. I had no clue what to expect but when I walked in, I was in complete awe of how many people were in attendance. There were maybe 50 people chatting and laughing and enjoying the party. The Anti-Cruelty staff was thanking everyone for their hard work and their commitment to helping save lives. During the brunch, it became more obvious to me than ever how important volunteers are in the rescue world.
People have reached out to me wanting to get involved and where to start. This post highlights only a few of the ways I know of to start volunteering. Of course, feel free to reach out to any shelter to inquire about their specific volunteer opportunities.
– ALIVE Rescue – Small but mighty, this badass rescue relies heavily on their volunteers to save animals. They have such a smooth operations system in place, that I would definitely recommend getting involved if you want to lend your skills. Check out their current volunteer position openings here.
– Anti-Cruelty Society: You have seen the awesome work they do time and time again on my site. Their volunteer program is the perfect amount of commitment for those looking to volunteer a couple hours per month. However, if that’s even too much, you are always welcome to stop by ACS and visit with whatever dog or cat you like. You don’t have to be a prospective adopter in order to take out and hang with an animal. Even just taking them out of their cage for 20 minutes or so will greatly help to ease any stress they’re facing.
– Chicago Canine Rescue – Perhaps my favorite shelter to tell people about in terms of volunteering. They have a wonderful dog walking program that is completely flexible with your schedule. You can stop by and walk one or seven, but each pup will totally appreciate the chance to feel like a normal dog walking through the neighborhood. You can learn more about their program here.
– Famous Fido Rescue & Adoption Alliance: Another one of my favorites and in need of support, Famous Fido is an all-volunteer shelter and they receive some of the hardest cases. They’re in desperate need of people wanting to help with any task. Cleaning, event planning, graphic design, anything would be so appreciated at Famous Fido! To get started volunteering, click here.
– Tree House Humane Society: As a new cat mom, I would be remiss not to mention a cat shelter. Tree House is a wonderful organization that helps the most vulnerable species find their forever home. While I don’t have much experience with this specific organization, I know they’re doing awesome work. You find out more about their volunteer process here.
The above organizations are just a few of the many in Chicago that are in need of volunteers. I encourage you to do a little research to find the shelter that speaks to you and what you’re looking to accomplish.
When my friend Jackie Lutze, a fellow blogger and animal lover, came to Chicago, I knew I had to take her to my happy place. We went to the Anti-Cruelty Society where she was blown away by the organization and cleanliness of the space. I told her anyone can simply drop by and hang with some pets which excited her even more. Jackie has been both an inspiration and confidant in the cruelty-free fashion world. She’s always dressed fabulously and she also happens to be the kindest soul. Be sure to follow her on Instagram and keep up with all her upcoming travels.
Meet two sweet ladies who are ready to love on you…
Wrigley – Currently at the Everyday Adoption Center, this sweet senior girl is nothing but kisses. She’s extremely sweet, low-key, and highly food-motivated. She would do well in almost any home and is a great cuddle bug. For more information about Wrigley, click here.
Dana – This pretty girl is free to a good home! Her adoption fee has been sponsored because she’s been at ACS for a little over a month. She’s nothing but sweetness with people and truly loved Jackie. She would do best in a home without any other dogs because she’s still a little unsure of them. Plus, she loves all the attention and belly rubs. Find out if Dana is your perfect fit here!
Kitty – We even had time to squeeze in a kitty (whaa?!) who has since been adopted! But don’t worry, with kitten season here, there are plenty of cats to choose from, like this sweet girl Angel.
We had one day last week where it was 75 degrees and I couldn’t even believe it. I wore this spring dress and my new Bhava boots that I’m obsessed with. I won’t commit to open-toed shoes quite yet, so these vegan leather booties kept the outfit more Spring than Summer. Shop the look below!
All photos: Margaret Rajic